Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Happy Birthday Matt!!

Matt had a Birthday a week ago, but our computer wasn't working, so this is a little late. (When I would turn on the computer it would make three loud beeps. Not sure what was wrong, but it's working now... nothing a few strong hits won't fix.)

Matt had a quiet but fun Birthday party. The kids made decorations and helped me make a chocolate cake with a chocolate butter cream frosting which was delicious. For his birthday we spent a couple of days at Yosemite.

Now I am going to embarrass Matt a little bit. Okay, a lot because he hates any sort of attention.

Matt just turned 30! He has done a lot over the last thirty years. He has a bachelor's degree, master's degree and law degree. He was an All American in track, in the steeplechase. He won numerous State Championship races in High School. He lived in Brazil for two years as a missionary. He is fluent in Portuguese. He has been to Africa, Italy and Mexico. He has lived across the country Utah, Virginia and California.

Things that he likes to do:
Canyoneering, hiking, backpacking, fishing, skiing, biking, running, playing basketball, and just being outside!
His favorite all time tv show is Home Improvement. (Fischer knows all of the characters names.) Although 24 is his favorite current tv show.
He loves to watch movies. Some of his all time favorites are Better off Dead, Ski Patrol and Back to the Future.
He likes to cook and has made up some delicious recipes. I love it when he says, "let me cook tonight" because I know we will have an amazingly delicious dinner.
He loves playing with his kids. He plays lightsabers with Fischer everyday. The kids love wrestling with him. Sophie will go up to Matt and say, "tickle daddy". When you tell her to say I love... she automatically says Daddy.

Matt is a great husband and dad. He sacrifices a lot for us and we love him and appreciate him for it. Happy 30th Birthday Matt!!!

Here are some pictures from our trip to Yosemite. Here is Sophie striking a pose on the fence post.


I am in the process of taking the pacifier away from Sophie. (It has been such an awful process Matt wants her to keep it until she's in High School. :-)) So now when she finds a pacifier she will say, "Mommy, hold it." Which is so funny to me because when Jackie was about her age I remember Jackie saying about her bottle "I just hold it." in her innocent little way and then sneak around the corner and drink it. Sophie just puts her hands over her eyes when she tries to hide sucking on the pacifier.

Here are all of the people that went to Yosemite to celebrate Matt's Birthday! The park was so crowded we were shocked. But don't worry, most people had snow pants on and very nice high-tech snow jackets.

The kids with some deer.

Soph hiking up the trail.
Fischer trying so hard to smile.
Matt trying to smile like Fischer. We had a back packers lunch. Salami, processed cheese and crackers. It was fun to eat the traditional back packing lunch with the kids.
Their favorite part, throwing sticks into the water.
This was the end of the trip. I had a perfect picture set up and they both started crying... typical. So, we started the hike back with two kids screaming, but besides that we had a really fun time. It is a beautiful place to visit and it is always fun to get outside and hike around somewhere new.

Fischer loved climbing around all of the rocks. He then asked to jump off of a rock, which I didn't think he would do, but he did, many times. He wanted to jump off a higher rock, but I wouldn't let him.

4 comments:

Brian and Jackie said...

Happy Birthday, Matt, you are getting old.

The Grady's said...

Happy Birthday, Matt!

jess said...

Matt...gosh you are ancient! I'm sooo glad that I'm not as old as you are! And thanks to your influence I'm sure your little boy will break a few bones as the years go on...he is fearless!

jess said...

oh yeah happy birthday, sorry we were lame and missed the celebration in Yosemite...we are such boring grad students!